Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Scaredy Cats Vs. Preparedy Cats!

I have been an advocate of earthquake preparedness since I first moved to San Francisco.  I'll admit, I am downright paranoid about it.  I've taken the geology classes, ladies and gentlemen, and I understand what living on a fault line means!

I have always encouraged my loved ones (and anyone who will listen) to get prepared, even if you feel silly.  Honestly, I've seen too many zombie apocalypse movies to feel secure about civilization.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Pack an emergency kit.  I keep one in my house and one in my car.
2. Get a plan together and notify your loved ones as to where you will head to if the worst happens.  I go so far as to tell them exactly which roads and detours I would take.
3. Always make sure you include your pets in your plan!  I bought a harness for my cat, and have an emergency stash of kibble in my kit.

San Francisco has seen disaster before and the SFPD gives some really good tips on how to handle it here.

Let's not forget the 1906 quake in San Francisco...


Colored pictures of the 1906 San Francisco quake came out in March of this year, this is one.  Photographer Frederick Ives was found to be the only person who captured the disaster in color.

No comments:

Post a Comment